Table of Contents
Dismantling White Supremacy Culture
Mostly based on showingfupforracialjustice page
What is White Supremacy Culture?
White Supremacy Culture is a bunch of characteristics which are usually found in groups, companies and organisations dominated by whiteness. They are established de-facto “best practice” standards. Lots of these can be found in (but are not! limited to) typical capitalistic scenarios.
These characteristics are as stated below. For details and how to approach them, see the link above.
- Sense of Urgency
- Quantity Over Quality
- Worship of the Written Word
- Either/Or Thinking
- Power Hoarding
- Fear of Open Conflict
- Progress is “Bigger
- Right to Comfort
What's bad about White Supremacy Culture?
They are harmful because they supress other approaches and thus promote white supremacy. They are not limited to white people and the harm they are doing is not limited to people of color.
What can be done to counter it?
The linked article states multiple antidotes for each of the characteristics. Lots of these tactics can be boiled down to a culture in which:
- different approaches are appreciated
- mistakes can be forgiven
- general understanding and acceptance exists
- people are seen as people
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla Saad. Hardcover: 256 pages, Publisher: Sourcebooks (January 28, 2020), Language: English, ISBN-10: 1728209803, ISBN-13: 978-1728209807